hmm proprietry extensions....
always cause to raise an eyebrow. but i imagine that
perhaps they enable some hardware feature in the card
that wouldnt otherwise be used.

Dean

James Gray wrote:
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:03 pm, you wrote:

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 19:52 +1100, James Gray wrote:

Gotta admit it - I spent nearly a week getting my dual monitors
configured "just right" in Windows... boot into Linux, updated the
Nvidia driver, added 4 lines to XF86Config and VOILA!  Who said Linux
was hard?

Out of interest, what were those four lines? Also, is it a single card with dual outputs, or two cards. Are the resolutions the same on both monitors?

In the "Device" section for my Nvidia 5700:

  Option       "TwinView"
  Option       "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "31-60"
  Option       "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "48-125"
  Option       "MetaModes" "1280x1024, 1024x768;"
  Option       "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"

(ok - so there's 5 lines, I forgot about the orientation change I did after I got it working).

And no - they are running at different resolutions. The main monitor is a 17" Viewsonic PS775 [EMAIL PROTECTED] 88Hz, the second is a 15" Compaq V55 [EMAIL PROTECTED] 75Hz.

One card using the two outputs; one output is analogue (for the 17") the other DVI with a converter to analogue.

According to the driver notes, you can configure this particular NVidia card in the "traditional" way using two discrete "Device" and "Monitor" sections, then doing the layout etc in the XF86Config. Using NVidia's "TwinView" hides most of the complexity both from the user and the window manager - thus making dual head as simple as 5 lines :)

James