The amount of power in the UNIX shell and related command lines tools
is really quite amazing, however I find there are some things out there
that I never know about until someone points them out to you. So I'm
going to point out some tricks that have saved me heaps of time, but didn't
really know until someone pointed them out to me:

1/ Ctrl-R history searching

When using the shell you pretty quickly work out that pressing up will search
backwards through you history, however it tooks me ages to find out that  you
could search backs through the history by typing Ctrl-R and a search string.

2/ popd/pushd

If you find yourself traversing directores often pushd and popd are really
useful.

3/ diffstat

Provides a nice concise of a diff file.

Cheers,