Benno> On Wed Feb 09, 2005 at 11:36:13 +1100, Steve Kowalik wrote:
>> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 11:12:11 +1100, David uttered
>>> I guess this is the point of the question. Is there a way of
>>> prioritising so that the effect of tar running is minimised.
>>>
>> Sure. Start tar and then renice the process to 20 (it will only run
>> when nothing else wants to), man renice for more information.

Benno> But nice only effects the CPU usage, and doesn't do anything
Benno> with the amount of buffer cache being thrashed, or the memory
Benno> bus being killed by disk transfers or the increased seek times
Benno> for any other applications, etc, etc, etc.

This is the kind of thing that the CFQ I/O scheduler was designed for
--- fair access to the disc.
--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately,  the political takes *forever*