On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 12:44:50PM +1000, QuantumG wrote:
> But that's not the argument.  The argument is whether or not the
> community would benefit more from having someone like RealNetworks not
> demand copyright assignment.  I believe they would because any
> extensions RealNetworks makes to the work of contributors will remain free.

But consider what the alternatives are:

1) Helix is copyleft with no copyright assignment (no proprietary version).
2) Helix is copyleft with copyright assignment (proprietary version).
3) Helix is proprietary only.

1 is unlikely, since Real gets limited revenues.  2 is what we have now.  3
is the other practical alternative.  Scrubbing 1 because it's not going to
happen, we have a choice between a largely-free Helix and a totally non-free
Helix.  Which one do you want?  No, you can't answer option 1 because Real
isn't going to allow that.

> Suppose I wasn't happy with RealNetwork's ad-serving.. maybe my
> customers were complaining that the ads take up too much bandwidth or
> something.  I can't fix that.  Well boo-hoo, I gave up my freedom to get
> that silly feature so it's my own problem.  Say I decide to do something
> about it and write an ad-serving extension for the open source
> distribution.  Are RealNetworks going to accept my patch?  Presumably
> not.  That's a terrible situation for the community to be in.

So someone releases a fork of Helix with their own ad-serving patch in.

- Matt

--
"I'm tempted to try Gentoo, but then I learned that its installer is in
Python, and, well, a base Python install on my system is something like