<quote who="QuantumG">

> I think the whole message of the first article (which is very different to
> the second article) is that all Australians are criminals when it comes to
> copyright law

The article says "decriminalise" once, which I'd be happy to put down to
hyperbole, given the rest. It correctly points out that recording from the
TV and ripping a CD are not legal, which is *true*. Our copyright law
doesn't allow for (private) "fair use" or "time shifting" (as US law does).

> so don't complain when criminal copyright laws are introduced.

I can't see anything in the article that suggests this. In fact most of the
article is about introducing "fair use" to offset our existing copyright law
problems exacerbated by the FTA's DMCA laws.

> Nevermind the fact that copying-stuff-off-tv has never been a criminal
> act.

Not criminal, but certainly not legal.

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2005: May 29th-31st                           http://2005.guadec.org/

    "Learning and doing is the true spirit of free software -- learning
   without doing gets you academic sterility, and doing without learning
    is all too often the way things are done in proprietary software." -
                                Raph Levien