Hi Peter,

I've not had a machine with 2 sata disks yet, so I'm not sure what the magic numbers would be... BUT, for normal scsi hotplug disks, you use the following to tell the kernel about new ones:

echo 'scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0' > /proc/scsi/scsi

The magic numbers are the host, channel, id and lun (so 0 0 0 0 is your existing disk). At a guess, your new disk would be either 0 0 1 0, or
1 0 0 0 (but hey, why not 0 1 0 0).

Disclaimer: of course, just like plugging the drive in, you're risking it
 freezing up in a confused manner. If it does, try unplugging the drive to
 unfreeze it. If that doesn't work, then here's your chance to reboot with
 it plugged in :)

Maybe give that a shot and see if it finds anything.

Usually, if the numbers are wrong (or if it simply won't work), then it puts a 'add singledevice' into dmesg, but otherwise does nothing.

Cheers,

 - Simon