On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 10:29:30AM +1100, Lindsay Holmwood wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:03:01 +1100
> Craige McWhirter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Committee Member". Lindsay is full of youth, enthusiasm, has a good head
>
> Too much youth, as it happens!
>
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:25:37 +1100
> Chris Deigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > ...but isn't 18 yet 'till later this year. :(
> >
> > I haven't looked at the constitution, but it'd be great to see him
> > occupy the committee as an honourary member until he turns 18 and can
> > legally be on the committee.
>
> Quite a conundrum. I've read through the Associations Incorporation Act 1984
> [1], and section 23 (3) (a) states that:
>
> (3)  A person is not eligible to be appointed as public officer of an
> incorporated association unless:
>
>     (a)  the person has attained the age of 18 years

You're being nominated for an Ordinary Member position on the committee, not
as public officer (as far as I can see).  The Public Officer of an
association is a single, particular person, who acts as the "legal face" of
the association.

Having had a quick scroll through the Act, I can't actually see where the
restriction on committee members being under the age of 18 comes from.  I
haven't recently read the SLUG constitution, but from memory there isn't
anything in there, either.

- Matt