I'm guessing here but if you use udev then you shouldn't create device
nodes manually, I can imagine how this might confuse udev.

Try maybe to run "/etc/init.d/udev restart". From my experience it's
harmless and may make udev look at the devices again.

I'm not 100% where hotplug comes here, but you might also want to
enable hotplug debugging in /etc/hotplug.usb.agent (around line 85
on "untestting"). I never tried this so I'm not sure if it'll work.

(as far as I understand this system, hotplug is the events mechanism
used to pass events from the kernel to udev to trigger device creation, but
I'm not sure and I got the impression that the creator of all this admitted
to poor documentation and design a couple of weeks ago).

Cheers,

--Amos