On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 05:52 pm, Rajnish wrote:
> All,
>
> Slight tangent to the current thread.
>
> James Gray wrote:
> > Linux and most other "real" operating systems will take advantage of
> > "unused" RAM and allocate it for disk buffers and disk cache.  This is
> > a good thing!  The kernel will free up buffers and/or cache as it deems
> > appropriate if an application needs the space.  To the end user (or
> > system admin) the whole process is completely transparent and very
> > fast.
>
> I've got a pretty old and still reasonable powerful 450Mhz PC with
> 196MB RAM. It runs all Ubuntu, FC3 and Win2K quite happily.
>
> Firefox startup on Win2K is "noticeably quicker" than either
> of my Linux distros. Is there a way to improve this startup ?

Firefox/Mozilla startup on Linux/Unix/etc is a dog's breakfast to put it
lightly.  The "firefox" executeable is actually a big ugly shell script
that does all sorts of jiggery-pokery to set everything just right so the
browser is happy with the world once up and running.  This (AFAIK) is due
to the inherent inconsistencies between all the various *nix flavours
Mozilla and Firefox run on.  So rather than inventing a different set of
options for every *nix, they've made this big ugly script that works
everywhere, on all *nix'es.

It sux, but it works.  I guess if you can reverse-engineer the script,
figure out what the hell it does then manually chant the final incantation
in one command (eg, "<mozilla-bin> foo=oof bar=rab baz=zab etc=etc") you
could probably by-pass the script altogether :)  I believe it's been done,
but never bothered - I've got an AMD64 system with 1GB of RAM and fast hard
drives... speed isn't exactly a problem for me :P

Cheers,

James
--
Over the years, I've developed my sense of deja vu so acutely that now
I can remember things that *have* happened before ...