On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 08:58 +1100, Richard Hayes wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> What OSI approved licenses allow for the reincorporation of open source
> code into propriety products.
>
> BSD obviously.  BSD not only allows for it but actively encourages it.

Distribution is important here.  If you link GPL code to your code then
it becomes subject to the GPL.  If you never release this code to anyone
outside the company then you effectively never activate the license.

Morally I would release any patches to the GPL code back to the
community.  Whether they choose to use them or not is their choice.
Besides it makes upgrades easier to new versions.

Note: Open BSD sometimes (generally or always?) comes with a clause that
says that you acknowledge the software that you are using.

--
Ken Foskey
OpenOffice.org developer