On Sun Mar 13, 2005 at 16:01:49 +1100, Rod Butcher wrote:
>While I appreciate there is some technical issue involved here, as a PC
>user I expect a tool (like e.g. ls, nautilus or whatever) that professes
>to give me a list of files on a storage medium, to do this for all
>storage media - and to me an audio cd is just that, with one or more
>files or tracks or whatever on it.
>In this case I presume it would be trivial to incorporate whatever
>voodoo cdparanoia uses and make ls display the fact that there is an
>audio file called xyz on the cd I just loaded. Any mount command would
>presumably be doing something quite different than what is done for e.g.
>vfat, but to the user it's all the same.
>What I'm getting at is, it's what it means to the user that matters, not
>what's going on behind the scenes. MS grasped this brilliantly.

I don't disagree. I was talking from a philosphical point of view --
which is what was asked for by Trent in the email to which I was
replying.

Now I really don't know much about the details of the track format of
audio cds, however I *do* know that cdparanoia goes through a lot of
black magic to copy an audio track error free.

Thankfully it looks like 2.6.12 might have user-level filesystems,
which should make it much easier to implement something such as you
describe.

Cheers,

Benno