On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:37:40AM +1100, Edwin Humphries wrote:
> G'day all,
>
> Is anyone aware of a Linux-based bookkeeping or accouynting package -
> one that can conform to Australian accounting and tax rules?
>
> We're contemplating an upgrade to our Quickbooks Pro ($599 - $1,494),
> or cross-grade to MYOB ($596 - $1,494), but we're a Linux company, so
> a Linux solution would be better (and our bookkeeper is reasonably IT
> literate as well!).

I've been using SQL-Ledger successfully for about 3 years now without any
problem. It's got a very active user base with quite a few aussies, and
it's GPL. I use a very small part of it's capabilities (for instance, I
don't do inventory etc) but I'm much happier with it than I was with MYOB.

It's Postgresql/Perl.

It's interesting in that it's written by one guy who makes his dosh by
selling support, so there are no free docos. OTOH, his support is
excellent. I've never had to wait for longer than a few hours for a reply
by email.