On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 17:32:06 +1100, Leslie Katz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, Michael.
>
> The post to which you replied was the first I made on SLUG. Please excuse
> my ignorance, but I thought that any reply to my post would go to the
> mailing list, not directly to me. I guess I had that wrong.

I cc'ed you directly and the list...  Although it was the default of
my mailer, and not my intension. Although ultimately it doesn't
matter.

> As to the Netcomm winmodem with a Lucent chipset, I fear that it's no
> better for me than the modem I now have, because what I lack in my
> distribution is the necessary compiling tools. I guess what I was looking
> for was a modem that either came with a Linux driver that would work out of
> the box (if such a thing even exists!) or didn't require a driver at all. I
> did read at the Netcomm site that a "serial modem" (which I assume means an
> external modem that plugs into a serial port) doesn't require a driver to
> run under Linux.

Just ask someone to compile the drivers you need against the correct
kernel headers and kernel version.

I use to compile the lt-modem module on my box and then go to my
parents linux box that did the internet sharing and upgrade the kernel
and this module so that it all worked again after a debian kernel
upgrade I pushed out.

This would be your best option. I think.