On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 15:42 +1100, Edwin Humphries wrote:
> I've just inherited a Dell Dimension 8300. It has a single 120Gb SATA
> drive, and I'd like to repartition with a view to dual-booting. It's
> got
> an OEM partition on the first 31 Mb of the drive.
>
> When I try to boot with the System Rescue CD (to use NTFSresize), I
> get an error message "hda: host proected area => 1" and the boot
> hangs. I'm assuming that this refers to the OEM partition - is this
> right? How do I get the bootloader to ignore this partition?

The host protected area is generally pretty large as it should contain
all required to reinstall the original Windows OS (well, I haven't seen
a Linux one).

On my IBM ThinkPad it is actually at the end of the drive and not a
partition at all just an area of the disk that contains data that the
BIOS can read.

I suspect some other problem.  Does something else like Knoppix or the
Ubuntu Live CD boot OK?

--
Simon Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Wongy.org