On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 01:15:26PM +1100, Voytek wrote:
> what actually happened was:
>
> I wanted to restart httpd to load some config edits;
> I had 2 ssh sessions to the server,
> I issued 'service httpd status', there was two lines full of httpd process
> after I issued 'service httpd status', the prompt never came back, both
> ssh sessions timed out and dropped, system became uncontactable: no ssh,
> no http, no smtp
> this morning, system was power cycled, and, is up again

Look at the logs.  Specifically, Apache's error.log, and wherever your
system dumps all of it's messages (/var/log/messages is a good place).
Depending on your syslog config, you may need to check other logs as well.
About the only thing that might not show up in a log is a kernel panic if it
locked up hard and fast.

- Matt