At Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:09:18 +1000, Alan L Tyree wrote:
> I have a windows based CD that I would like to install and use with
> Wine. The setup.exe prog crashes.
> What's the best way to proceed? is there anyway to extract and install
> without using the setup.exe program?

MSI is actually one of the most difficult programs for wine to deal
with (it exercises all sorts of horrible win32 IPC mechanisms).
*Latest* wine versions have the beginnings of support for MSI,
including a custom msiexec program somewhere.

Most (non-MSI) Windows installers are either self extracting zips or
one of those .cab thingies.  Native linux extractors for these archive
formats exist and if you have some recognisable format I'd try them
next.

Failing that you can try to work out which DLL the crash is occurring
in ("bt" in the winedebugger will give you a backtrace) and perhaps
try switching to/from wine and real Windows DLLs.  Various values for
the WINEDEBUG environment variable may help here too (see manpage).

Good luck ;)

--
 - Gus