And probably, as bad if not worst, your security procedures inside your Intranet is failing. Latest statistics indicate that about 50 percent of security breaches are perpetrated from inside the Intranet and still counting.

I believe that the balance is tipping towards security breaches
from within the Intranet as more and more sophisticated hacking tools
become available from the Internet. All the "bad guys" are not from the
"outside". And the perpetuators are may be less of the "guru" these days and
still be able to implant "trojans" and inflict substantial damage in your
servers.

You may have a secure Firewall protecting your network
against Internet perpetuators; are you confident your internal security
is reliable ? In other words "The Firewall" is no longer the
fortress that we were used to thinking and be comfortable with
in our sleeps at night;  the pertpetuator,  could be, is from within.

Check this site  and give your intranet and internet security the
super-boost, if you are not already:

http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/
http://www.openafs.org/

Rowling, Jill wrote:

Just shut the machine down as soon as possible. Even get the local janitor
to do it if you can't get to the site. Rebooting it won't help.
All processes and software are potentially compromised, including the
behaviour of the TCP stack, file mod dates, really everything.
The sensible way about it is to "have an outage" on that machine, and switch
over to your alternate server which is patched and up-to-date (ahh hopefully
you have one...).

Regards,

Jill.