Voytek wrote:

I have a full copy of 'RHEL ES Basic 3' with 12 month RHN

I see the current version is '4'

is the '3' still OK to use ?

RHEL 3 support will be available till 2010.

RHEL 3 also currently has more applications certified for it then RHEL 4 does, but that depends on what apps you use - if you're setting up network infrastructure etc. then I'd go for RHEL 4. It also has other advantages - new kernel, LVM 2 with online resizing support and a GUI admin tool, faster ext3 filesystems due to elevator tuning, and other nice things like udev.

what are realistic hardware/RAM requirements for EL ?

in the past, I've tried to install on a system with 256MB, and, the
installer told me I was short of RAM, and, wouldn't proceed

The machine didn't have integarted video did it? RHEL 3 wants 256 MB or RAM for use by the system - if the video card takes 8 of that, you'll get a warning.

PS - This advice is on behalf of me, not my employer, etc.

Mike