> Yep I will vouch for that. Last night I was on a 1/2hr train ride with
> my lappy open, and came across hundreds of APs, over half of them open.
>
> It's quite fun to just sit and watch them roll by the screen as the
> train goes past.

i was for one year travelling through parts of asia, australia, NZ, USA,
canada, and parts of europe and for the whole year i havnt paid a cent for
internet access. even in the smallest villages (like wagga wagga or in
condingup in WA) i was able to find an AP without protection. pretty easy
to join the AP and to use the internet access.

funny thing: in victor harbour (SA) was a AP that opened me access to a
company network with access to printers and other windows shares. and one
server of the network was packed with install cds, movies, and mp3s.

just my 2 euro-cents, gottfried