[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:53:56AM +1000, Terry Collins wrote:

4) The MS Tax is charged on EVERY computer in the school, hence there is no money saving incentive to replace MS with FOSS/Linux.

I thought that was illegal...
...how do they attempt to enforce this?

It was either a flat or stepped fee based on the number of computers they knew that your school had. NSW Public schools basically get all their hardware through the department.

So there was no incentive for say "by replacing MS with FOSS on X computers I can save $Y".

As my wife was a teacher in the NSW Dept of Ed, I've looked at helping introduce FOSS into schools a number of times. Each time I have decided that I have far better things to do.

To be honest I found the same thing with UTS Engineering,
and you would think they are in a better position to understand
these things but their interest in taking risks is about zero.

Aaah, UTS Engineering. A wonderful place, where scoring in an academic bun fight is more important that providing student education. I also remember the Introductory C class where everyone who handed in a copy of last years lab experiment passed, but those who pointed out that it was impossible to actually run the programm on the computers were failed. Something about adding a network card with conflicting interrupts.

Someone who wants to dabble in this area with FOSS might consider making a Live CD, especialy for simulations, demos, etc.

Or possibly start an online service for teachers since one thing
that schools are doing right is providing lots of Internet access.
Then you can use Linux under the hood and maybe encourage them to
download a bit of open-source on the side, gradually get them into
open office and gimp. Maybe get them interested in buying a server
with the same online services for their internal use which will
run faster (less users and over ethernet LAN).

I'd be game to get involved in that one if someone wants to collaborate.

If you want to offer "certificates", consider setting up a Registered Training Organisation. Then you can offer Cert I, Cert II, etc course, but you do need Cert IV qualified trainers.

You got any links to explanation of how this process works?
How does the first Cert IV get created in a new subject?

        - Tel  ( http://bespoke.homelinux.net/ )

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www: http://www.woa.com.au
Wombat Outdoor Adventures <Bicycles, Computers, GIS, Printing, Publishing>