On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:44, Michael Fox wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:05:47 +1000, Simon Males <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Practically, I am thinking more along the lines of taking my Linux
> > laptop to any windows machine, plugging it in and being recognised as a
> > simply flash/external hard drive type device.
>
> Is that even possible.
>
> This sounds like how Apple do Target Disk Mode (boot an apple machine
> using apple + t key I think from memory) then firewire plug that
> machine into another and bang the machine in target disk mode acts as
> firewire drive to the other machine its hooked upto. Very neat trick I
> think.

I have not looked in depth into this, but perhaps you can do this with "USB
Gadget" modules in the kernel (2.6.11)? I would not have thought that the USB
controllers are capable of acting as peripheral devices though.

Look in: Device drivers -> USB Support -> USB Gadget Support

Taken from xconfig:

"Support for USB Gadgets (USB_GADGET)

USB is a master/slave protocol, organized with one master
host (such as a PC) controlling up to 127 peripheral devices.
The USB hardware is asymmetric, which makes it easier to set up:
you can't connect a "to-the-host" connector to a peripheral.

Linux can run in the host, or in the peripheral. In both cases
you need a low level bus controller driver, and some software
talking to it. Peripheral controllers are often discrete silicon,
or are integrated with the CPU in a microcontroller. The more
familiar host side controllers have names like like "EHCI", "OHCI",
or "UHCI", and are usually integrated into southbridges on PC
motherboards.

Enable this configuration option if you want to run Linux inside
a USB peripheral device. Configure one hardware driver for your
peripheral/device side bus controller, and a "gadget driver" for
your peripheral protocol. (If you use modular gadget drivers,
you may configure more than one.)

If in doubt, say "N" and don't enable these drivers; most people
don't have this kind of hardware (except maybe inside Linux PDAs).

For more information, see <http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget> and
the kernel DocBook documentation for this API."

--
---
Marek Wawrzyczny

"Terrorism is the war of the poor,