David Fitch wrote:
O Plameras wrote:

'inet_interfaces' has another functionality and
if you try,
inet_interfaces = all,
you'll discover you can smtp from another host.

I hadn't heard of inet_interfaces before, but as I said
any host can already connect (I suspect the default is
'all') to send mail to local users.
It's already a fully working mailserver it's just the
smtp auth I'm trying to add to it.

Oh, I see. There is no definition for inet_interfaces in your 'main.cf'. So, postfix is using the default.

In the Postfix RPM distribution, as far as I know, config
for inet_interfaces defaults to 'localhost',i.e,
'inet_interfaces=localhost'.

BTW, this is the same with other MTAs like 'sendmail'
(www.sendmail.org).

Well it has been pointed that without 'SMTP AUTH'
you have an open-relay when inet_interfaces is left
out, which is very bad as pointed out by another
poster.

I assume SMTP AUTH is now working.

O Plameras