Linley Caetan wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi guys,

I am a newbe, veery bad at Linux, and I have a problem.

My Linux  server does not start up anymore. I have Red Hat 9 installed and
when I start it goes to the 4th line setting hostname, it OK's it on the
right, jumps to the next line and then stops for ever and ever.

<snip>
Same problem for me.
Just get hold of Ubuntu live CD and boot into this.
and you should be able to see the drive

He can already do that with Red Hat CD 1.

back up the data (/home/<username>)
Then your best bet is to reinstall.
I switched to Ubuntu because of continual problems like this.

If you put a SMB share or NFS export in /etc/fstab in Ubuntu, and that share became unavailable, I'd be very surprised if you didn't have the same problem. This has nothing to do with distros.

I'd also be surprised if Ubuntu had a method to confirm each survice and skip netfs.

Not everything is about distros.

/me returns to chewing on orphans while running Fedora.

Mike