Just finished restoring my backed-up stff from the network to my shiney new
Kubuntu install.  Here's some comparisons I've found from the old SuSE 9.1
Pro that Kubuntu is replacing:

1. Faster.  Same hardware, same software, faster machine.  It boots faster,
runs faster and *everything* was detected out of the box.  Even the
weird-arse "sk98lin" network card :) Very impressive!

2. Sound works properly.  No idea what the folks over at Novell have done to
their kernel but the onboard sound (snd_via82xx) driver under SuSE would
constantly barf with "invalid pointer 0x????? using last known pointer" at
which point the arts daemon would have a fit and lock up the GUI for 10-15
seconds. Very annoying.  Problem not seen on Kubuntu - very happy :)

3. nvidia-glx package - reason in itself for running Ubuntu/Kubuntu!  Thank
you Daniel Stone!!  FWIW, the latest NVidia driver is 7174, and the latest
[K]ubuntu package provides this version too - so it's pretty close on the
heels of NVidia compared to SuSE, who are still working on the 5xxx
driver :-/

4. Still can't get Flash Player to work  - but I think that's a side-effect
of AMD64 hardware.  Anyone else?

5. apt.  apt simply kicks butt.  Yast/urpmi/yum just can't cut it IMHO.
After spending a year with SuSE, I've reaffirmed my view that RPM just
plain sux.

6. grub looks better on SuSE.  Call me a point-and-drool-luser, but the SuSE
Grub splash screen just had that visual polish that isn't there in a
default Kubuntu install.  But as this is the only gripe I have about
Kubuntu, it's really not that big a deal.  It's just eye-candy! :P

SuSE is a good distro, but skewed towards functionality over speed.  I was
honestly suprised with the speed difference between Kubuntu and SuSE 9.1!
SuSE took about 45-50 seconds from kernel decompress to a useable KDE
desktop (not including the odd arts daemon crash etc - see #2 above).
Kubuntu is about half that!  Seems the SuSE boot sequence got bogged down
doing hardware detection and other crap...and it took about 10 seconds just
to mount the NFS volumes (wtf?!).

Anyway - big heart-felt congrats to Jeff Waugh and others on the
Ubuntu/Kubuntu teams.

James
--
As usual, this being a 1.3.x release, I haven't even compiled this
kernel yet.  So if it works, you should be doubly impressed.