Gus:

> > You can get phone audio into a computer by using one of those old
> > voice-modems with the right AT commands (often not full-duplex, but
> > that isn't a problem here), or a telephony card with an FXO port.
> > Whether something like asterisk will make the software side easier or
> > not, I'll leave as an exercise for the reader -- but even using
> > asterisk for this step wouldn't require anyone to use VoIP, assuming
> > you had a PSTN double-adaptor thingy at your end.
>
> I have tested this with the Netcomm "Webmaster" CD1800 56k V90 and
> yes it works and the AT commands are moderately well documented

Possibly the best control is through nasty old Winmodems.

This is way off a simple device for recording phone conversations,
but anyway...

When I was playing with Asterisk last December, I had heard that one of
the PCI modems that Asterisk supports has an $8 OEM version.

David Reid in York street has a bin where they chuck old motherboards,
lan cards and anything else they want to throw out. I picked up
a winmodem on the off chance. It seemed to be some kind of Lucent
winmodem. I found some code of dubious provenance (the source
looks undisguised reverse-compiled) called ltmodem from Pavel Machek.

After some mucking around I got it to work. It can do full duplex,
you can do your own dtmf detection, and the latency should be much
better.

Hours of fun for the socially deprived :)

Jamie