I have a webcam, labelled a Mustek WCam 300A. I can use it under Windows and it produces video of satisfactory colour.

I have obtained for the webcam a Linux driver, the spca5xx driver. I have satisfied myself by running GnomeMeeting under Fedora Core 3 that the driver does make the webcam work. However, the colour of the video produced is much distorted.

One of the consequences of installing the driver was the creation of a folder called "parameters". That folder has within it 18 files (autoadjust, autoexpo, bright, ccd, contrast, debug, force_rgb, gamma, GBlue, GGreen, GRed, lum_level, min_bpp, OffBlue, OffGreen OffRed, snapshot and usbgrabber), each of which contains nothing but a number. I take it that editing at least some of those files by substituting appropriate numbers will result in satisfactory video colour.

Does anyone happen to be using the same combination of webcam and driver and getting satisfactory colour? If so, I'd be very grateful to be told what numbers appear in your 18 files.

If not, can anyone enlighten me as to how I should try to achieve the correct combination of numbers? I did assume, perhaps wrongly, that having various parameters files like mine was typical for webcam drivers, but I haven't been able to any general discussion of how to set the numbers in them.

The documentation that came with the driver did refer to a program, spcagui, that can be used to test the driver, but I'm told that to install it, I need libjpeg, libsdl and SDL_image and I don't have the confidence to know that I'd be getting the correct required files. Certainly, they didn't seem to be available from the Fedora download site. It's for that reason that I'm trying to get information about editing the parameters files.