On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 06:06:10 +1000, Michael Chesterton wrote:
> John Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > apt-get-install linux-686-smp gave me a kernel which says it's
> > v2.6.10-5.
> >
> try apt-cache show linux-image-2.6.10-5-686-smp|grep Version
> it says Version: 2.6.10-34.1, which I guess isn't a coincidence.

There's still something I don't understand.  Ubuntu released a new
kernel yesterday, which I think I've installed, but the kernel still
reports the same release number as it did before the upgrade:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# uname -r
    2.6.10-5-686-smp

apt-cache gives me two version numbers for this kernel:

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# apt-cache show linux-image-2.6.10-5-686-smp|grep
Version
    Version: 2.6.10-34.2
    Version: 2.6.10-34

How do I know which of these two I actually have?  And if it's the later
one, why does the kernel report exactly the same release number as the
older package?

Thanks,

John
--
I swear to god, if people treated their cars they way they treat their
computers, half the cars on the road would be covered in bumper stickers