On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 08:58:38PM +1000, Ian Wienand wrote:

> XML is so useful because it provides such good abstractions.  You can
> define it with a DTD, whack all your data in it, walk it with XPath
> and display it with XSLT and some CSS.

That's not really an intrinsic property of XML, that is a property
of any nested and tagged data structure. The general idea of data
abstraction goes right back to the first C compiler, probably back
to the first algol compiler, maybe further back.

Certainly having tagged data is a good thing, I just happen to
believe that XML is a poor quality implementation of that objective.

        - Tel