<quote who="John Clarke">

> 1.  Download nedit-5.5-1 sources from Internode's Ubuntu mirror
>     (nedit_5.5.orig.tar.gz and nedit_5.5-1.diff.gz).

If you have deb-src lines in your sources.list, you can just "apt-get source
<package>" too.

> It didn't help though; the new package has the same problems as 5.4, and
> both are almost unusable. None of the problems occur with the 5.5 binary
> from nedit.org on my old RH7.3 box[0].

You're best off letting the MOTU team know by filing a bug in Malone
(launchpad.ubuntu.com).

> Thanks for the build instructions, I'll file them away for future
> reference.  While we're on the subject of building packages, do you know
> where I can find a quick guide to creating a package from my own source?

The Debian New Maintainer Guide:

  http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

- Jeff

--
GNOME Summit 2005: October 8th-10th         http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005

  "We live in a place where policy discussion is conducted with money." -
                                Eben Moglen