This is actually the kind of thing you want to kill yourself later for
not having done before  =)

But then, every time I thought about coding it, i said to myself "no
worries, this ain't gonna happen", and kicked it from my priorities
list. Good riddance. I seem to be one of those who lock the house up
*after* the burglary took place.

I always thought about installing a small backdoor on my init (and in
windows, a small app and a registry entry would do the job) to shoot a
string to a remote server every time my laptop booted. An IP address
is all you need. Give the ISP a call, explain the situation, and I'm
sure they'll help. As for the guy who stole, how many laptops are
equipped with such things? It would take more than an average burglar
to guess he's being tracked when he turns the laptop on. IF he's the
one to use it.

Michael: wish I had the serial number. documentation is gone along
with it. another good lesson to keep in mind next time  =)

Thanks guys.

On 6/17/05, Lindsay Holmwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now that I think of it, in the fall 2004 edition of the 2600 there was a
> really good article about laptop security.
>
> It focused on putting together a 'phone home' programme that would send
> a heartbeat to a remote server every 15 minutes when plugged into a
> network. There might have been something in the article about getting
> data off it remotely too.
>
> Very handy for this type of theft.
>
> I'll make a scan of it if anyone is interested.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Lindsay
>
> Julio Cesar Ody wrote:
>
> >Sorry to use the list for this kind of things, but considering the
> >context, it may be suitable.
> >
> >My laptop got stolen 3 days ago from my home (around Ultimo). It's a
> >small silver Twinhead (don't quite remember the model right now), with
> >2 operating systems running on it (LILO: Slackware Linux and Windows
> >XP).
> >
> >If anybody sees it around, please contact me via email soon as
> >possible. I'm willing to pay for it's return. The content is important
> >for me.
> >
> >Thanks a lot.
> >

> --

Julio C. Ody