On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 10:16:01AM +1000, Robert Thorsby wrote:
> My solution to this is to have procmail send all emails with the
> subject line "I Only Fish for Herring on Wednesdays" to my inbox which
> is periodically scrutinized by a cron bash script. If the body of the
> message is "WAWWO o6Hea 1SqG4 NHfJI FCU0s NxJeW" (the one-time message
> changes daily) then bash does its duty.
>
> Probably not secure but it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

For security, you can GPG-sign command messages, and then the script can
just verify the signature before executing anything.  If your scripts can
stand being run extra times, that's all you need to do, otherwise you need
to guard against replay attacks, by (for instance) including a unique value
at the top of the message, and having the executor remember past unique
values and not executing anything if it's seen it's unique value before.
You could also do date-based verification, if you're pretty sure your
signing machine is going to have an accurate date relative to the executor
machine, and that the messages will reach their destination in a reasonable
amount of time.

- Matt