From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Kirti Pankhania
Sent: Tue 6/21/2005 6:19 PM
To: slug@slug.org.au
Subject: [SLUG] Ubuntu problems with Postgres install

Folks,how do I get out of this jam?

I have new install of Ubuntu Hoary (newbie)
As I could not get apt-get to find postgres, I downloaded a deb
package(stable) as below.
The version of python currently installed is 2.4.1. (BTW, why is python
required anyway?)
I tried to install a program called locale which however cites
dependencies with glibc
I would have preferred to install PG version 8.0 but have no clue how to
go about this.

Error Message as follows:
# dpkg -i /usr/local/src/postgresql_7.4.7-6sarge1_i386.deb

Selecting previously deselected package postgresql.
(Reading database ... 57719 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking postgresql (from .../postgresql_7.4.7-6sarge1_i386.deb) ...
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = "en_AU:en",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LANG = "en_AU.UTF-8"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_COLLATE to default locale: No such file or directory
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of postgresql:
postgresql depends on python2.3 (>= 2.3); however:
  Package python2.3 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing postgresql (--install):
postgresqludo gcc

Rgds
Kirti

http://www.Hi-Speed.net.au