Yes, it is strange. I have the Radeon M9000 (mobility) series, and while the
drivers are still in development my machine is fairly stable... unless I do
something stupid and upgrade to the latest and greatest XOrg series (running
6.8.2-r2 fine)...

Mind you, being a laptop it ain't on for more than 20 hours at a time, at
most.

I use the kernel open source drivers and find no problems with the desktop. 3D
support in games is another thing, but then... I don't play games these
days...

--
---
Marek W