Hi Sluggers,

I'm trying to understand the boot process of dsl (previously known as
Damn Small Linux).

The boot process ends up with the X running and the user logged in as
user dsl. i.e. the user is not root.

The lines in /etc/inittab that would normally start a getty are in this
distribution replaced by, for example,

1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1

In /home/dsl there exist, among others, the following
files: .bash_profile .xinitrc and .xserverrc

I can see how X starts once the user is logged in as dsl but cannot see
how this is managed.

If you do ctrl+alt+F1 you can see the tail end of the boot up process
the last five lines showing:

INIT: Entering runlevel: 5
su(pam_unix)[375]: session opened for user dsl by (uid=0)
Using Xvesa default 1024x768x32 -mouse "/dev/psaux",5 mouse
xauth: creating new authority file /home/dsl/.Xauthority
xauth: creating new authority file /home/dsl/.Xauthority

If you go back to the graphical desktop by pressing ctrl+alt+F2 you can
run ps aux in an xterm and see that
PID  Uid    VmSize Stat Command
<snip>
360 root      1680 S   /bin/bash -login
375 dsl       1672 S   -su
390 dsl       1068 S   /bin/sh /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
<snip>

My question really boils down to "what causes the su to dsl?" I cannot
find a reference to su in any of the boot scripts.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

cheers,
Ken