Dear Dr. Slug,

I'm considering using Drupal to build a community site, mainly for its
distributed authentication feature; a user can log into a new Drupal
site using their credentials from another Drupal site, as described at:

  http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=user/help

(drupal.org seems to be unreachable atm).

I'm aware that other CMSs exist, and that perhaps other systems like
MoveableType now have a similar feature. What I like about using Drupal
is that it encourages a distributed community of members from other
relevent, existing sites, such as ourmedia.org and spreadfirefox.com.

So, I'm after two bits of advice from anyone who's administered Drupal,
or who can convincingly impersonate a Drupal administrator:

1) Do you hate Drupal? Have you used it extensively and then switched
away from it? why?

2) How hard, or not, do you have to squint to see a resemblence between
a security model and Drupal's distributed authentication? For example, can
I choose not to accept authentication from certain sites? and is there
anything other than a distributed relaying of plaintext passwords?

cheers,

Conrad.