On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 19:23, Sridhar Dhanapalan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 11:35, Julio Cesar Ody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > has anyone got any experience with GNU/Linux snapshot file systems?
> >
> > I googled around and found these:
> >
> > http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/snapfs/
> >
> > http://sourcefrog.net/projects/snapfs/
> >
> > Didn't get any of them installed yet because I won't put my hands
> > (root) on any GNU/Linux OS in the next day or two.
> >
> > What I want is something similar to FreeBSD's snapshot file system,
> > which creates a read-only mount point containing a snapshot of the
> > data in a section/partition/whatever, where you can copy stuff from.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated. Cheers.
>
> I'm not an expert in this area, but might UnionFS fit your needs?
>
> http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/project-unionfs.html
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6654

Replying to my own post...

LVM or EVMS might be worth looking at as well. AFAIK both can do snapshotting.
Here's a good introductory article on EVMS:

Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc
   0x049D38B4 : A7A9 8A02 78CB AB1B FCE4 EEC6 2DD9 249B 049D 38B4}

"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems."
                        -- Linus Torvalds