I can't get my wireless to connect at boot. This is causing me
embarrassment because I keep telling everyone they should use Linux :(

>From a fresh install of Ubuntu Hoary, specifying wireless for my net
connection, wireless fails to connect. Signal is NOT a problem.

HOWEVER: If I deactivate wireless, manually create an ethernet connection
with the network panel, activate ethernet, deactivate ethernet, then
activate wireless.. i get my wireless back! I've been able to replicate
this consistantly.

Simply restarting networking doesn't work. I have to go through that
ritual.

Without doing that, all the settings in the network panel look OK
but the MAC address shown by iwconfig is FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and the
flashing lights indicate no connection. ifconfig gives the right ip
address etc and route shows the right gateway (192.168.0.1) on ath0

Dell Inspiron 4000, Netgear WGT624v2 AP, Netgear WG511T pcmcia card,
atheros chipset, using WEP 64bit key and static IP.

This is getting to be a showstopper for using Ubuntu. Works fine for
WinME dual booted on the same machine :(

If anyone is getting good results using a similar set up, I'd love to know
what I'm doing wrong.

regards...

David.

PS: i've tried apt-get update, apt-get upgrade but that made no
difference.