Simon,

There is a reasonably standard approach to this - I have done these
migrations a number of times (mainly to perform IP address migration
when companies merge or need to move away from registered address
space).

OK, the problem is how do you introduce a new DHCP scope served by a new
server, but that doesn't overlap with the existing scope? Depending on
the ratio of number of simultaneous leases to the amount of address
space on your subnet you might be able to reduce the size of the
existing scope. If the scope on the old server can be resized to less
than half of the subnet, you can then introduce the new server with the
new non-overlapping scope. You would then just turn off the old DHCP
server scope so that any clients that need to renew will be served by
the new server when they next renew. (This approach is also used as a
simple way to provide DHCP server redundancy - just have 2
non-overlapping scopes on 2 servers).

If you don't have sufficient address space to do this then there are two
things you can do

1.Reduce the lease time on the old server to say 2 hours. Next time
clients renew then they will then be on a cycle to renew every 1 hour.
Then, say overnight, remove the old DHCP server and introduce the new
with the same scope range. Yes, there will be potential conflicts, but
only for an hour (as all the clients will renew in that time). Most
clients (well windows ones do) ping or arp for the address they are
offered anyway and hence reject ones they see are being used. If you
aren't a 24x7 operation this can work well as the machines will sort
themselves overnight (or when they boot in the morning).
2. If you absoultely can't have any conflicts and the existing address
range is constrictive you may be able to temporaily introduce a new
subnet as a secondary address range on the same LAN. This would mean
your router (hoping you have a local LAN router capable of reasonable
performance) would then perform any routing necessary between the old
and new subnets. The new DHCP scope would be based on this new secondary
address range. Once you have this in place you could turn off the old
DHCP server. Clients on the old and new subnets would still interwork
(though via the router). When the clients on the old lease renew, they
will then move to the new subnet. Once all the old leases have expired
you could then optionally reintroduce a scope on the new DHCP server for
the old subnet and basically migrate the clients back in the same
fashion. You would turn off the new temporary scope and once all the
clients have moved back to the original subnet you could remove the
extra secondary address on your router.

Martin Visser, CISSP
Network and Security Consultant
Consulting & Integration
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete
the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the
information in it.