Random idea off the top of my head (no testing has been done, use with
caution, ymmv, etc, etc):

Create a small text file in the root of each of your devices called,
say .mydeviceid, containg a string ("MyCamera" or "MyWifesCamera" or
"MyIpod")

I believe some daemon (hotplug?) gets invoked whenever these storage
devices are plugged in; you could write a script for hotplug that (a)
mounts the disk on /mnt/tmp, (b) checks for a .mydeviceid file (c) if
present, unmounts then remounts the disk at /mnt/`cat .mydeviceid`

If all you're wanting to do is figure out which disk is which so you
can mount it, this should work for you... but if you need to do
something more complex, this is probably not going to be sufficient.

On 7/27/05, Ben Buxton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How can one go about ensuring that certain USB mass-storage devices
> always get linked to the right /dev node, irregardless of the order that
> they're plugged into?
>
> I'd like to have things where by for example, my camera always appears
> ad /dev/sda, my USB key as /dev/sdb, etc. It seems that they are
> allocated in the order they're attached, but this makes things rather
> complicated as I have to keep hunting for which device something's
> attacehd to.
>
> BB
>
> --

There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quote himself
in his email footer - Zhasper, 2005