On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 09:42:50 +1000, Voytek wrote:

> all the users on my RH server (apart from me) are web/mail users, that is,
> they only need ftp access, no ssh, no shell
>
> is this the correct way to create them (the /bin/false part):
>
> adduser domain.com.au -s /bin/false -p passwd

I'd use /sbin/nologin instead, but whatever you use, make sure it's
listed in /etc/shells.

> how do I set the 'no shell' part as a defualt for future users ?

Edit /etc/default/useradd.

> how can I verify the 'no shell' is set (apart from trying to ssh login (as

Look in /etc/passwd.  The last field on each line is the shell, e.g.:

    johnc:x:500:500:John Clarke:/home/johnc:/bin/bash

Cheers,

John
--
snort's flexresp seems a tool worthy of the BOFH himself. And of
course, with a few misplaced keystrokes you can take the entire network