Hi All,

From the coersion of a colleague (hi Mike), I've done the "Quake3 thing" -
something I've always resisted.  I'm not a big FPS fan, RTS is more my thing,
but anyway.

The hardware:
My system is a K8VSE-Deluxe AMD64-3000+ machine with an NVidia FX5700 card
with TwinView (dual head) set up and working nicely with KDE.

First Problem:
Whilst hacking the bejeezus out of the Q3 installer to handle my AMD64 Kubuntu
system, I realised the DVD-ROM has stopped running in DMA mode (WTF?).  It
used to, but I haven't used it in over 4 months and I think there was a
kernel update in there somewhere.  I've done the "hdparm -d1 /dev/hda" but it
just barfs and syslog dumps a "Drive Seek Error 0x51 etc" in dmesg (yes, hda,
my SATA drive is the boot drive and is sda).  Any ideas?  I'm not in front of
my AMD64 box so chipsets/exact-errors will come later....just thought someone
might have seen this before?

Second Problem:
After getting Quake3 running (yay me...I think) I have it displayed on the
second monitor (on the right) in the bottom-left corner with only the top
half of the image displayed (see ASCII art below).  My primary monitor runs
1280x1024 and the secondary runs 1024x768 with "TwinView" handling all the
multi-head stuff.  Obviously 1/2 of a Q3 screen aint gonna get me anywhere so
how can I force it onto the main dislpay at a reasonable resolution?

eg,

-----------------------------
|                           |
|                           |
|    This is all black      |
|                           |  Primary monitor is over there -->
|----------------           |  and is totally black.
|  Quake 3      |           |
|  top 1/2      |           |
|  here         |           |

Ideas anyone?  I need dual head more than I need quake, but it would be nice
not having to boot that other OS just for the occasional fragging.

Cheers,

James
--
BOFH excuse #403:
Sysadmin didn't hear pager go off due to loud music from bar-room speakers.