[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm not sure whether the upgrade will cause problems with existing packages.
> Does apt-get ensure that upgrades do not break existing packages or
> dependencies?

If a dependancy would break a package then apt-get would put it in
the list of packages it is removing and then give you the [Y/n]
option of continuing.

This works at least 99% of the time. Very ocassionally a package
get through which doesn't list its dependancies correctly and
then can break if that unlisted dependancy is upgraded or removed.

Erik