On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 21:19 +1000, elliott-brennan wrote:
> I'm trying to install DSL. I've changed the IDE cables around and the
> settings in BIOS and the CD-ROM and the HDD itself; trying them out as
> Master and 'apprentice' in various orders and with each on as IDE 1 or
> 2. The best I've got to is "disk boot failure", when it's started up the
> disk in the drive and then... pause... ""disk boot failure" :(
>
> Dunno what's going on.
>
> I've tried other disks that I know work (Puppy Linux - even Slackware)
> and no joy.
Hi Patrick,

I'd be inclined to set the HDD as master on the first IDE bus and the
CDROM as master on the second IDE bus (i.e. using a separate ribbon
cable for each)

Next try to boot from a one floppy linux distro such as tomsrtbt
http://www.toms.net/rb
If that works OK then download the bootfloppy.img (1.4MB) from one of
the dsl mirrors using another computer. Copy it to a known good floppy
like so
dd if=bootfloppy.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k conv=sync ;sync
Set the BIOS of the P120 to boot first from the floppy drive and
secondly from the HDD. With the dsl CD in the CDROM and your new boot
floppy in the floppy drive see if the computer will boot.

BTW there are two versions of the dsl CD. These are dsl-1.4.iso and
dsl-1.4-syslinux.iso the latter is the one more likely to boot using an
old computer.

If you do succeed in getting it to boot then you may be able to do a
"frugal" install to the HDD. You will need to create three partitions on
the hard drive. One swap partition, one ~55MB partition to hold the
compressed image and one partition to hold /home, /opt and backup &
restore. (I haven't tried this yet my self so I can't go into detail)

cheers,
Ken