G'day...

> Please elaborate, specially why 'and IMHO it would be undesirable'
>
> my previous (last post to slug) explained in depth the woes I
> had trying to use a dynalink router.
> Every router that I've looked at is hard/obscure when you try
> to route AND run servers. Also you end up trusting 'their'
> firewall to work right.

How many routers have you looked at? Which ones were they? How long ago
did you look at them?

Most current routers provide NAT firewalling and port forwarding (both
TCP and UDP) and work reliably. Some of the older ones may not be as
reliable, but they've been around long enough that you can google for
people's experiences and opinions on them. (E.g. the old Dlink DSL-300s
are having faults as telephone exchanges are being updated but they are
not routers anyway.)

You can check the features of a router before purchase, even as far as
downloading the instruction manual from the manufacturers website.

The routers have an Apache web server built into them and are fairly
easy to configure.

Why would you go to the trouble of reproducing this behaviour when you
already have it configured in hardware routers?

As for not "trusting 'their' firewall" to work right, maybe you should
reconsider - granted that a software router is as likely to have the
same security issues if not more so. (How do you know how secure your
box is? How thoroughly have you tested it? What tests did you run? Do
you know where potential vulnerabilities exist? Are you up to date with
all security updates? How quick to respond are you to security updates
given by security authorities? Who do you use as security authorities on
a practical level? Are you running additional software on the box other
than just the firewall and port fowarding functionality? - If so you're
even more at risk and are working with a somewhat broken paradigm.)

Running a modem/router is cheaper in terms of hardware costs /and/ time
spent assembling the hardware /and/ time spent installing and
configuring the necessary software /and/ in terms of space requirements
/and/ in terms of energy usage /and/ in terms of pre-requisite knowlege.

Regards,
Michael Kraus
Software Developer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Direct Line 02 8306 0007

Wild Technology Pty Ltd , ABN 98 091 470 692
Sales - Ground Floor, 265/8 Lachlan Street, Waterloo NSW 2017
Admin - Level 4 Tiara, 306/9 Crystal Street, Waterloo NSW 2017
Telephone 1300-13-9453 |  Facsimile 1300-88-9453
http://www.wildtechnology.net
DISCLAIMER & CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information contained in this email
message and any attachments may be confidential information and may also be the
subject of client legal - legal professional privilege. If you are not the
intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this
material is unauthorised and prohibited.   This email and any attachments are
also subject to copyright.  No part of them may be reproduced, adapted or
transmitted without the written permission of the copyright owner.  If you have
received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return
email and delete the message from your system.