[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
<SNIP>
My problem is simple: When a host at the end of a VPN wants to talk to the flexlm on a machine on servers network all goes well until the host says
'I'm george' and the machine says 'hey george' and there is no response.

(ie for george read CENTRAL2)

Howto resolve 'george' as a netbios name.
(yes it's in lmhosts AND dns, and the browser cache, and still the query fails.)

Is server configured as a wins server (wins support = Yes in smb.conf file)? Are the clients configured for a wins server? Unless they are told of a wins server, they will not update the wins server and hence what you describe will happen. If the workstations are windows an "ipconfig /all" will display whether or not the workstation knows of a WINS server. You can tell workstations about a wins server via dhcp - i think its option-netbios-servers (very similar to option domain-name-servers). Once this is set, the workstations should resolve properly using nmblookup unicast to server.

The nmblookup broadcast works because the workstation is replying, but broadcasts don't necessarily work over VPN (depends on VPN - works over a bridged openvpn connection).

Fil