Jeff Waugh wrote:
<quote who="Phil Scarratt">

Ahhh yes....I've found opening files by double-click doesn't work in that
scenario with nautilus either. Usually got to copy the files locally, then
open, edit, save and recopy them back - a real fiddle especially if you
have to do it often.

It depends on the applications you're using. If they're gnome-vfs aware, you
won't have any problems at all. These days, that covers most of the major
non-GNOME desktop apps (OOo, Mozilla, etc). But yes, more needs to be done.

So you're saying that a file say somedoc.sxw on a samba share, if I browse to it using nautilus and double-click to open, it should open in OOo instead of spit the dummy (I can't remember the error)? Or is this something that would work with a later version of OOo - say 2?

I've found the above scenario doesn't work on my setup, but if it is supposed to then I'll spend some time trying to work out why it doesn't at the moment.

Coming soon in Ubuntu -> support for interesting mount options in pmount,
letting your users mount and unmount things like nfs, smb, FUSE and crypted
filesystems without root, but with strong policy (the p in pmount). Nice!

Ahh, very nice indeed. Looking forward to that. That would certainly resolve the problem (I would think anyway).

BTW, kudos on ubuntu. Multimedia setup still needs a little bit of work if it is to be used mainstream - but that is probably a linux thing generally. It's not quite easy enough to use with all applications (eg skype and xmms together out of the box don't seem to play ball well without a fair amount of fiddling). I guess in part that's the applications problem.

Fil