On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 13:15 +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> James Gray wrote:
>
> > Digital Star (http://www.digitalstar.com.au) also have OS-less laptops on
> > offer.  From their main page, follow the link to "BTO Notebooks" or simply
> > go here:
> > http://www.digitalstar.com.au/_PowerNoteComparisonChart.aspx
>

> OK, they have some nice looking machines and the "no OS"
> option is $120 cheaper than windows ex-pee home. Now if
> only they would also pre-install Linux so I knew everything
> worked :-(.

I own a CL50 from Digital Star. The only parts I've never had working
are the SD card reader and the winmodem. I think both can be gotten to
work if you care enough. The network chip is a bog-standard realtek
part. It's got a centrino chipset, with Radeon 9000M (which Ubuntu
supported out of the box)

I'm pretty happy with the hardware, although the disk IO is slow.

The screen is nice @ 1400x1050.

J.
--
Jan Schmidt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>