On Wednesday 21 September 2005 19:47, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I just used a live CD for the first time (Ubuntu), and as good as it is,
> all I really want is a shell for diagnostics. It took ages to install.
>
> Can anyone suggest a live distro that either doesn't have X at all, or has
> an option to bypass it. Naturally it would be nice if it was reasonably
> modern with most of the latest drivers etc.
>
> I've looked at the Knoppix website, but that looks similar in concept to
> Ubuntu.
>
> thanks...

David it looks as if you are quite a newby <gee how do you say that kindly,
and I do mean it so>. All the distros can give you text mode. You are
probably best off using a terminal session within X.
I think that you'd be best off using something like knoppix (dsl, puppylinux
etc) then choosing something that suits your style/application when you have
a better insight to what is available, what it can do, and what you want to
do.

Most distros have tools to do the hard stuff. They are often X based. I just
about never use anything but CLI, but an xterm is more comfortable than a
console.

Cheers
James