On 2005-09-27, Carlo Sogono <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I need to setup a local Ubuntu apt server but don't = know where to
> start.  I need something that syncs with official Ubuntu servers = but
> I only want it to sync packages I define. Is this possible?

I searched Google for "setting up a partial apt mirror" and found the
following possibility: a command named apt-move, which is mentioned on
http://wclp.sourceforge.net/documentation/adminguide.wclin/node10.html .

Linux Planet also has a tutorial at
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/5667/2/

However, what is your use case for this? If it's the common one that you
have a bunch of machines and don't want to download the same packages
for each machine gets updated, then you should look at using the
apt-proxy program, which is available on Ubuntu. apt-proxy works like
this:

 1. you point apt-proxy at a full apt repository (can be the official
    one, can be a full mirror, it's not a bad idea in Australia to use a
    local mirror)

 2. you point all your Ubuntu machines at the apt-proxy server

 3. each time they update, the apt-proxy will store the files it
    downloads. if another machine requests the same package, it will use
    the stored one. So packages are only downloaded the first time
    they're requested, and apt-proxy only downloads the package onces

If you do use apt-proxy, be sure to check its cache expiry time. It has
a limit on how long it will store the packages for before it deletes
them (so that it doesn't fill your hard disk with five year old package
files). I find 3-6 months is a sensible value, but one SLUG user
reported that it was set to 2 minutes by default, which is useless!

-Mary