Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

O Plameras wrote:

I was anticipating 64-bit will give similar improvements in speed
from a 16-bit to 32-bit machine. I have a good idea of the change
in speed from 16-bit to 32-bit. It appears this is not going to be
the case with 16-bit to 32-bit.

Any speed up moving from 16 to 32 bits was due to clock speed, not
the number of bits in the registers.

The clock speed change is indicated by MegaHertz change and the 32-bit to 64-bit
change should really be a register architecture change.

Given two CPUs one 32-bit and another 64-bit with the same Megahertz or
clock speed, the 64-bit is significantly faster.

The so-called 64-bit is really not 64-bit. The registers are still
32-bit,

Sorry, thats wrong. The registers *ARE* 64 bit.

it appears without having gone through the arch-docs.

I thoroughly recommend you do.

Erik

--
O Plameras